• Is it ok to bring our own music to play with a group?
You can certainly bring your own music. Several of our past participants have brought their personal music libraries for the groups to use.
• Are all the groups going to be quintets? Or are there other groups, like trios, quartets, etc.?
We are focusing on woodwind quintets in 2013 with space for a few pianists. We will also be playing trios and quartets.
• Is there public transportation to downtown Asheville? I do not want to rent a car.
The Asheville Transit system has three bus routes that stop within the UNCA campus. We can get you the transit map and schedule when you arrive. If you need services from the airport, please consult www.flyavl.com.
• I have a medical condition. Are there good hospitals in the Asheville area in case of an emergency?
Asheville’s Mission Hospital is a Level II Trauma system and can handle essentially all medical needs. Please see www.missionhospitals.org
• How much walking will we have to do during the week?
Housing will be in Governors Hall dormitory, near the dining hall, student services, and the ensemble practice rooms. Plan on walking about a mile or 2 each day over hilly terrain. All the practice rooms are in the same building. All facilities are ADA compliant.
• Are there individual rooms available for personal practice and warmups?
Those participants staying in student housing are welcome to practice in their own rooms. We have reserved two rooms that can be used by commuting participants.
• Will we have a secure area for commuters to store instruments during lunch or free time ?
We will arrange for a secure storage area in or near the commons area of the dorm.